THE EARLY SHOWINGS - THE SICK AT HOME PART

The next three days made me re-think my opposition to euthanasia as I lay, alternately on the couch, the bed or the floor[1] while my temperature went up to around a hundred-three at least once and was surely over normal most of the time. And every morning I’d wonder if Ingo was going to call and interrupt my fevered delirium and what I would do about it, surely too weak to drive myself anywhere. Would he just bring them into the house and tell them to ignore the sweaty, smelly two hundred pound guy on the couch and try to picture it with their Alsatian hound there instead? For two weeks I didn’t really have the energy to change the channel, let alone get the house ready to show. I have never been that sick before in my life.[2] One day, about a week in, I struggled to the bathroom[3] for a, thankfully, normal moment and in washing my hands I looked into the mirror and experience one of those Universal Horror Movie What Have I Become moments where a different, pale, gaunt, unshaven, sunken-eyed monster looked back at me.

But I was lucky. There were no phone calls.

Hold on there, bubbalouie. Lucky? Weren’t we trying to sell this thing? We were ending the first month not only without offers, but also without anyone looking at it.

The guy who called and offered the five hundred was starting to look good.

After two weeks, Ingo called for another showing. I was able to get out of the house and go to a bookstore. It felt good. And who knew? This might be the one.

Well. It wasn’t. Not even a nibble.

I dragged myself out of a sick bed for THAT?[4]



[1] When I was too tired to make it from the former to the latter.

[2] But I did drop a lot of weight.

[3] Remember: One bathroom. A father with severe intestinal distress and a pubescent girl. It’s a measure of her love for me that she never once complained.

[4] Yes. Yes I did.

Comments

Rich Dannys said…
Great Blog, Shaun!!
Spent awhile browsing thru the entirety of your postings.. Quite a story. Would make a great book!

Met you briefly at one of the San Diego ComicCon portfolio reviews.. I remember you telling me that you grew up in Canada. And you had nice things to say about my Animation work.. You sent me a BATMAN BEYOND Storyboard Test, which I feel rather guilty now, for never completing..

Being a Torontonian, we love to poke fun at Buffalo.. But I've visited there, a number of times. And it seems like a nice enough place to live.. Hope it works out well for you!

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST DAY IN PARADISE

Home Inspection -- The Final