The Early Showings -- The Off To the Hospital Part


It was around eleven in the morning. The kids were at school. Patricia was at work and…

…Dare I say it…?

I had fallen. And I couldn’t get up.

And without one of those alarm things, too.

It’s not very funny when you’re inside of it. When you’re hot and uncomfortable, there’s a grabbing feeling inside your stomach and it won’t let go. Add to that the room spinning and not enough strength in your arms to push yourself to even a sitting position and there’s not only no one there to help you, but there won’t be anyone for hours.

I managed to turn myself around and crawl out of the bathroom enough to reach my cell phone[1], like someone suffering from poison gas in an old Republic serial. I called Patricia at her office and told her she needed to come home.

And then I noticed the blood[2].

I’m not going to tell you WHERE the blood was coming from. And there wasn’t a lot of it. But, as a general rule, when blood is coming from any part of my body that blood shouldn’t be coming from[3], I panic. I called Patricia back and told her that I was calling an ambulance.

It’s not easy to call the ambulance, beyond dialing 9-1-1. But there’s an emasculating feeling to doing it that you can really only do when you’re bleeding. It would have been better, in a way, if I were bleeding from a gunshot – but maybe not.

I managed to unlock the door and get to the couch while waiting. Some firemen showed up first[4] and they took my blood pressure and made sure I didn’t die before the paramedics showed up.

As if it wasn’t embarrassing enough to have to call the paramedics because you had blood coming from your ass, the next thing I heard was…

“I couldn’t believe it when I heard your name…”

And I look up[5].

It’s someone who used to work for me.

At least it was someone I liked.

So I had to suck it up and tell him my symptoms.

“At least it’s red blood,” he said. “When it’s black it can be a problem.

Well, that was good to know[6].


[1] Which I put on a linen counter so it would be nearby if it rang and I was pooping. I do this because I’m in show business and sometimes cliché’s are cliché’s because they’re true.

[2] Please notice how I built up to this and then dropped it into the story. On the other hand, it wasn’t very fucking entertaining at the moment.

[3] And that’s about all of ‘em.

[4] Interestingly, one was one of the men who had been there the night Ruth died.

[5] Which was about all the energy I could muster.

[6] But if it’s black, can you even identify it as blood?


ENTIRE CONTENTS COPYRIGHT 2009 by Shaun McLaughlin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST DAY IN PARADISE

Home Inspection -- The Final

Home Inspection, Part Two